Add ChatGPT to WordPress
Did you know that you can now add ChatGPT to your WordPress website easily to offer AI customer service and even configure your ChatGPT for WordPress plugin to send your chats to humans if the ChatGPT bot cannot answer the questions.
In this article we'll show you how to embed ChatGPT into WordPress as a live chat in your WordPress website. This ChatGPT + Live Chat integration also supports inviting human agents from your collaboration tools like Microsoft Teams, Slack, and Zoom so that you can create a full featured live chat customer service solution that includes AI as well as human interaction.
Things you can do with your ChatGPT for WordPress plugin
- Pre-qualify your leads with a ChatGPT chatbot
- Choose your ChatGPT model
- Set up initial System messages for the ChatGPT API
- Setup Escalation Trigger phrases to send chats to human agents
- Send links to important URLs
- Upload and download files
- Register leads to your service with a Zapier integration
- Answer common questions with a fully automated ChatGPT chatbot
- Have ChatGPT answer when human agents are not available
- Offer 24/7 AI Live Chat Support
Why Use ChatGPT for Your WordPress Chatbot?
ChatGPT is the most advanced AI solution in the market and it's easily added to WordPress using your OpenAI key and integration with Live Chat by Social Intents WordPress Plugin.
- Natural language processing: ChatGPT uses contextual conversation to respond to visitor questions in a conversational manner.
- Easy integration: ChatGPT can be integrated easily into your Live Chat settings using your Own OpenAI API Key
- Full Control: Since this solution integrates directly to your ChatGPT and OpenAI account you maintain full control over which models are used and how the chatbot is trained.
- Option Human Escalation: Use this live chat solution in conjunction with your existing customer service team. Have the AI answer when agents are not available or escalate to Humans when the AI chatbot can't answer the visitor
Example ChatGPT Chatbot in WordPress
Here's a step by step guide to how to add ChatGPT to WordPress
- OpenAI ChatGPT Account: https://platform.openai.com/signup
- Social Intents Account: https://www.socialintents.com
- WordPress account
High Level Steps
- Create a Live Chat app in Social Intents
- Create your OpenAI API Key after registration
- Add your OpenAI API Key to your Social Intents chatbot settings.
- Deploy your Live Chat plugin to WordPress using our WordPress Live Chat Plugin.
1. Create a Live Chat app in Social Intents
If you don't already have an account with Social Intents, simply register for a Free Trial.
Once you sign up you can pick an integration with Microsoft Teams, Slack or a standalone account. The integrations will be used to invite in Live Chat agents when you want to escalate a website chat from the chatbot to live chat agents. You can answer chats in Microsoft Teams, Slack, Zoom, or Webex. Otherwise, you can answer the chats directly in our web-based dashboard.
2. Create your OpenAI account
If you haven't already, sign up for your OpenAI account here:
Once logged in to OpenAI, click on your profile and select 'View API keys'
Now create a new API Key to use in your Social Intents Chatbot Settings for integration.
** Please note that you need to add billing information to OpenAI in order to use the ChatGPT api.
3. Add your OpenAI API Key to Social Intents
Now that you have create a Live Chat app, go to the Chat Settings in Social Intents by clicking on My Apps, then Edit Settings of your chat widget. Click on the Chatbot Settings tab.
In your Chatbot Settings name your bot, choose an avatar for the chat bot and select Chatbot Type of 'ChatGPT with OpenAI'.
You can then decide how you want your chatbot to be invited into the chat. You can have a chatbot only, then invite agents later, have it pick up only when your live chat agents are offline or miss a chat, or join the same time your agents join.
For ChatGPT Model, you can choose any of the models the OpenAI supports with the Chat API: https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/chat
We choose the current chat model: gpt-3.5-turbo.
Copy your OpenAI API Key into the field called: ChatGPT API Key.
Next you can customize your ChatGPT Welcome text with a Default Welcome Response, and Quick Reply buttons to help direct your users.
The Human Escalation trigger phrases can be used to match on user intent when they want to reach to a live agent. When one of these phrases is matched, we invite your human agents by sending Live Chat Invites to Microsoft Teams, Slack, Zoom, or Webex.
Once your agents answer the chats, then the bot drops out of the conversation.
Finally, because training isn't yet supported in the OpenAI Chat API yet, we've exposed Instruction Phrases to allow to you send an initial System message when starting a chat to give your ChatGPT bot some context.
Once ChatGPT 4 is widely available, we'll open up additional options for training and plugins.
4. Deploy ChatGPT to WordPress using the WordPress Plugin
Finally, you simply install the Live Chat by Social Intents WordPress Plugin and add the Live Chat API Key to the plugin settings.
Find your WordPress Plug API Key in Social Intents
Now that you've set up an account in Social Intents, you'll want to grab your WordPress API key which you will copy into the WordPress plugin settings. We'll go through the details of finding your WordPress Plugin API key for Microsoft Teams, Webex, and Slack users below.
For Microsoft Teams Users
If you are using our Live Chat for Microsoft Teams app, you can find your code snippet under your Chat Settings. Click on the Live Chat app in the let sidebar (or add it if you haven't yet to your team), and then go to your Live Chat settings. Click on the Install Code Snippet tab in the settings to find the key:
For Slack, Zoom, and Webex Live Chat Users
If you are not using Microsoft Teams, simply Login to your Social Intents account and click on the Install Code Snippet Link in the lefthand navigation:
You'll see a popup that will display your WordPress API Key:
Save this API key for use in the next step below.
Add your ChatGPT Live Chat plugin to WordPress
Next we will add the Live Chat plugin to WordPress. Go to your WordPress admin site and then to the Plugin link. Click on the Add New button to add a plugin.
Now, search for the plugin named: 'Live Chat for Microsoft Teams and Slack', then click 'Install Now'
Once installed, click on 'Settings' in the Plugin
Now you'll see a text field called Your app key. This is where you will put the API Key that you retrieved in the Your WordPress API key section above.
Copy this key in then slick 'Save Settings'.
Your ChatGPT for WordPress is added!
Now your ChatGPT chatbot for WordPress is enabled on your website and is ready to answer your visitor questions!
Get Started with ChatGPT on WordPress today!
Start your 14-Day Free trial at Social Intents to add ChatGPT to your website in under 5 minutes. It's as simple as adding your OpenAI API Key into your chatbot settings!